Thread: How long to use it for?

Default How long to use it for?

Hey everyone!

I received my Powerball about 3 weeks ago, and am quite enjoying it!
    I bought it for the purposes of healing tendonitis in my wrists (I spend 8 hours a day on a computer at work, and am an avid gamer so I would like my hands to actually work :P), and have been noticing some slight good results with the ball.

My question is, how much should I be using the gyro for an optimal recovery? I've found that my left hand is all but healed now, however my right hand is still experiencing quite a bit of pain (usually from using a computer mouse). I'm unsure if I'm simply not exercising it enough, or overdoing it, or need some other kind of treatment along with the ball!

Thanks in advance!

Hello Kalgrar!

I have been using the powerball for 2,5 years.Even though tendonitis was not a problem even though i spent quite a lot time on the computer,i did find it to make my wrists stronger.Regarding your issue,i believe 10 minutes a day should be okay.In your case spin the powerball at low rpm (about 2k-4k) so that you start to feel that "gentle" force beeing applied to your wrist.

Cheers
    Nick

Question

Hey Nick, thanks for the reply!

Are there any real detrimental effects of overdoing the powerball? Today I've been spinning much faster than that (my top speed is about 9k atm), and for longer (closer to 30 mins in one session, and a bit on and off when experiencing pains).

Would doing more / faster hurt me more? Or even heal quicker? Just wondering is all, since I need to know how much self-control I need :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kalgar View Post
    Hey Nick, thanks for the reply!

Are there any real detrimental effects of overdoing the powerball? Today I've been spinning much faster than that (my top speed is about 9k atm), and for longer (closer to 30 mins in one session, and a bit on and off when experiencing pains).

Would doing more / faster hurt me more? Or even heal quicker? Just wondering is all, since I need to know how much self-control I need :P
    if your wrist feels okay for more rpm than 4k then go for it but i dont really recommend it because you said that you have tendonitis.I had tendonitis for a week ago at the left hand(i was overdoing powerballing) but it healed quickly with some gentle spinning and some rest.I did make a try to spin it faster but my wrist's pain was vivid so decided not to do so.My advice is to keep spinning at low speeds until it heals(combined with some rest of course!) and then add some proper powerball sessions (3 times a week are great) to your routine and you should never have tendonitis again (you can browse older threads for that if you wish to)

Talking

OK, I will try doing it at lower speeds for a few weeks and see how well I heal up.

It felt kind of strange, because for the first week I had the powerball I was in intense pain for a day, then mostly painless for the rest of the week. Then the pain returned, so I figured I must be doing something wrong!

Thanks for your help!

Are there any real risky outcomes of overdoing the powerball? Nowadays I've been spinning much faster than that (my top amount is about 9k atm), and a bit a longer period (closer to Half an hour in once, and a bit on and off when experiencing pains).

Quote Originally Posted by warwickbartlett View Post
    Are there any real risky outcomes of overdoing the powerball? Nowadays I've been spinning much faster than that (my top amount is about 9k atm), and a bit a longer period (closer to Half an hour in once, and a bit on and off when experiencing pains).
    It's just like any other training, you will get sore when you over do it! It was very hard for me to put the ball down in the beginning too, but you have to allow rest (1 or 2 days or even a week) between hard workout sessions.

Your recovery time will shorten as you progress over an amount of weeks or so, and you will surely reap the results that come with it!

Good luck!